Monday, May 12, 2008

Jenna Bush Wed by Obama Backer Kirbyjon Caldwell


On Saturday afternoon, the Hager family, Jenna Bush’s in-laws, hosted wedding guests at a barbecue in Salado, Texas. The wedding, which began at 7:30 p.m., took place on the Bu$h ranch, before a white limestone altar erected next to a man-made lake. Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell of Houston, Texas officiated at the ceremony. Pastor Caldwell, a longtime religious adviser to President Bu$h, is Black. The fact Pastor Caldwell is Black is not a surprise to me. Well, maybe I am a little surprised. President Bu$h has lots of Black advisors and friends. The fact that Pastor Caldwell has endorsed Senator Barack Obama to me is a total surprise. I was sure that any advisor or friend of his would have a Bush philosophy.

Yes, the influential minister who has long been a spiritual adviser to President George W. Bush said Saturday that he will endorse Senator Barack Obama's bid for the presidency. Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell is senior pastor of the 14,000-member Windsor Village United Methodist Church in Houston. He said that he is backing the Illinois senator because of Obama’s "character, confidence and courage."

Pastor Caldwell said that his support is personal and not connected to his role as pastor of the 14,000-member church. However, Caldwell told his congregation that Senator Obama may pay a visit to the church.

Pastor Caldwell, whose relationship with the president began when Bush was governor of Texas, introduced President Bush at the 2000 Republican National Convention and gave the benediction at both of his inaugurations. Pastor Caldwell said he called President Bush to inform him of his decision to support Senator Obama and that the president was "OK" with it, adding that the minister's presidential choice would not affect their relationship.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but I have friends, family, people I work with, people I go to church with, etc., who have points of view that differ from mine. Some of their viewpoints are radically different, points of view that I detest. But if I got rid of all the people in my life that didn't completely agree with everything I believe, then I'd be standing here all alone. So President Bush -- or Senator Obama -- have good friends who have a different point of view, so what.

No comments: